The association was established in 2015 with the aim of participating in improving the quality of education within South Africa, starting with our own province (Limpopo). Although the organisation long-term goal include amongst other to be a national body.
In our three years of existence and participation in the education system within our province, the association can provide tangible results and evidence of improvement as a direct contribution to the province. It is to our pleasure to see the department of education implementing and enforcing procedures and standard based on the South Africa Schools Act (SASA), Collective Agreement No 1 of 2008 and Regulations and guideline - Thus, their actions are associated to quality learning and improvement of education for our learners.
The major cases that our organisation has exposed include among other:
- Interference of department officials in appointment
- Unlawful use of norms and standards funds (school, circuits & districts)
- Lack of commitment of delivery on infrastructure promises.
We believe that some of the issues that SASGB is addressing should be fully handled by the school governing bodies. However, our assessment has revealed that there is lack of capacity for our school governing bodies. As a result, our role is to capacitate the SGBs with the following:
- School Governance
- Financial Management
- Role and Responsibilities
Goals and Objectives
- Extend our blueprint nationally.
- To promote quality learning and teaching for all the children, school governing body officials, and teachers in South African public schools.
- To eradicate poverty in South African public schools.
- To assist the National Department of Basic Education, South African Police Services and National Prosecuting Authority in prosecuting crime within schools.
- To encourage accountability by Teachers, Principals, Circuit Managers, Head of Departments, Inspectors, officer or any person with interest in the public education system.
- To prevent educators, heads of departments, MECs from madling in the affairs, of the SGBs.
- To encourage transparency and honesty within the leadership in the public schools, and to assist schools, National Department of Basic Education, educators, and MEC of Provincial Governments in recognizing the role of parents and their SGBs in administering the affairs of their respective schools as per SASA.
- To prevent unfair discrimination in recruitment of educators, members of SGBs, officers at schools, and when dealing with interest of parents, learners, teachers/educators at school level, and to intervene administratively or in terms of litigation where unfair discrimination is found.
Mr Kubu Moshutla
Co-Founder & President
Mr Tebogo Mokebe
Co-Founder & Secretary General
Phuti Portia Ngoepe
Mr Mokgethwa Ngoepe